The cast of Schitts Creek is one of the most talented and charismatic ensembles on television today. The show is a comedy that follows an eccentric family moving from their mansion in Toronto, Canada, to a small town called Schitt’s Creek, where they must live in poverty after losing everything. The series was created by Eugene Levy and Daniel Levy, who also play the father and son in the show, respectively. Eugene has been acting since childhood but didn’t start his career until he graduated college at age 30; Daniel was an infant when he started acting professionally at age 5! They have both worked together on many projects before, including American Pie 2 (2001), where Eugene played his son’s principal; Bedtime Stories (2008), where Daniel played his older brother; Freaky Friday (2003), where he played both characters as children: and now again here for Schitt’s Creek (2015).
Eugene and Daniel Levy have been acting together since childhood.
- Both Eugene Levy and Daniel Levy are Canadian. Born in Quebec, they both moved to Ontario as children when their father got a job at a photo processing plant.
- The brothers have been acting together since childhood. They met as young boys while auditioning for a play in Montreal’s Theatre 13th Hour, where they made their stage debut together, playing twins in an adaptation of A Christmas Carol—a role you may recognize from their recent Netflix series.
- After graduating high school, their professional careers took off when they were cast as regulars on SCTV and The Bob & Doug McKenzie Show (later renamed Great White North). They went on to appear in films like Ghostbusters II, Groundhog Day, This Is Spinal Tap!, American Pie 2, and others before going on to create and star in Schitts Creek with Eugene playing Johnny Rose while Daniel plays David Rose.*
Catherine O’Hara has a background in television and film.
- Catherine O’Hara is a Canadian actress who has appeared in numerous films and television shows. She is best known for her roles as Kate McCallister in Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992) and Angela Baker’s comedy horror film adaptation of Stephen King’s novel It (1990).
- She was a cast member on Saturday Night Live from 1986-1991, appearing regularly on Weekend Update and portraying characters such as Emily Litella.
Annie Murphy was also a child actor.
Annie Murphy, who plays Stevie on Schitts Creek, also started acting as a child. She was in the 2004 movie The Day After Tomorrow, playing the daughter of Jake Gyllenhaal and Sela Ward. In addition to acting, she has played hockey and is an avid singer/songwriter. Her sister Kate is also an actress; she played Jodie in Degrassi: The Next Generation from 2003 to 2005.
Emily Hampshire is also a producer.
Emily Hampshire is a Canadian actress and producer. She has been in numerous films, including Schitt’s Creek and The Five Senses, and has directed several short films and television shows. She also produces for other television programs such as CBC News: The National, CBC Radio One’s WireTap (which she co-hosts), and This Is That. She also co-produced Schitts Creek with her husband, Eugene Levy, for its first few seasons before becoming an executive producer on the show, starting with season four.
Chris Elliott performed as both an actor and writer on Letterman’s show.
If you’re a fan of Schitts Creek‘s TV show, you’ve probably noticed that Chris Elliott has been involved in multiple capacities. On top of playing the role of Roland Schitt—father to Johnny and Moira Rose—Elliott was also one of the writers and producers for the series. He even had a bit role as “Dad” in season 2!
In addition to his work on Letterman’s show, Elliott has released several albums over the years and starred in movies such as Groundhog Day (1993), and There’s Something About Mary (1998). He also appeared alongside Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society (1989).
Jennifer Robertson trained as an actor and a clown.
Jennifer Robertson trained as an actor and a clown. She is a Canadian Association of Professional Clowns member, and she trained at the École Internationale de Cirque in Montreal.
Robertson began her career acting on stage and screen, but it wasn’t until she turned 21 that she decided to become a professional clown. In 2010, Robertson joined the National Theatre School of Canada’s Advanced Diploma program; two years later, she graduated with honors from their Clown Conservatory program (which is currently being run by another alum named [Nicole Stamp](http://nicolerobinsoncharliecloydollardian1stseason) who also played Libby Uptown).
The cast of Schitt’s Creek is extremely talented and charismatic.
The cast of Schitts Creek is extremely talented and charismatic. The four main actors—Eugene Levy, Catherine O’Hara, Daniel Levy, and Annie Murphy—have been working together for decades. They’re also some of the most in-demand comedy actors in Canada today. With such a strong foundation, it’s no wonder that Schitt’s Creek has been such a success on Pop TV since it first premiered in 2015. It’s just one more thing we can thank Canada for!
Many people who don’t watch Schitts Creek say this is because it’s Canadian. But I think that’s because they don’t know what they’re missing out on! The show is funny and heartwarming, with its incredible talent. It’s worth checking out if you haven’t already.